We are excited to once again offer our Summer of MAKE program in 2016!! The program will run 6 weeks from June 28-August 5, 2016.
Summer of MAKE is a STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) based summer program where participants design, build and take home projects of all types! Projects cover areas such as electronics, robotics, engineering, woodworking, e-textile, and so much more!! We are excited to be able to offer the program for the 4th year in a row, and for our third year as a Cognizant "Making the Future" grant recipient.
The following are this years Summer of MAKE project sessions. Please note that for grade track purposes, that each track is for "those entering" one of the grades (in that track) in September 2016. For instance, for the "Grade K-3" track, programs within that track are open to registrants "entering Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade in September 2016".
|Project||Date and Time||Location||Grade Track|
|Rubber Band Helicopter||Friday, 7/8/16||Kennedy||K-3|
|Shadow Puppet Theatre||Friday, 7/15/16||Westergard||K-3|
|Radio Controlled Cube||Friday, 7/22/16||Kennedy||K-3|
|Electric Paddleboat||Friday, 7/29/16||Westergard||K-3|
|Adjustable Bookshelf||Tuesday, 6/28/16||Westergard||4-6|
|Electric BubbleMaker||Thursday, 7/7/16||Kennedy||4-6|
|Doodle Bot||Tuesday, 7/12/16||Westergard||4-6|
|Tiny Dancer and Electromagnetic Train||Thursday, 7/21/16||Kennedy||4-6|
|Pizza Box Circuits||Tuesday, 7/26/16||Westergard||4-6|
|RoboLink 6 in 1||Thursday, 8/4/16||Kennedy||4-6|
|Beeswax Sushi Candles||Tuesday, 7/5/16||Westergard||7-12|
|DiY Linocut Stamper||Thursday, 7/14/16||Kennedy||7-12|
|Simon Says Electronic Game||Thursday, 7/28/16||Kennedy||7-12|
|Toilet Roll Totes||Tuesday, 8/2/16||Westergard||7-12|
Registration for the Summer of MAKE sessions will open at 10am on Monday, June 6th. Registration will be accepted over the phone or in-person at the Kennedy Branch Library (500 Hoes Lane, Piscataway NJ / 732-463-1633 x6). We will be updating this page to provide links to the printable registration forms in the coming weeks. We highly recommend, if possible, that you register on-site starting the day of open registration. The programs fill up extremely quick, and all in-person registrants will receive priority over phone call registrations during the same time.
Please see below for registration and program rules. Because this program has become so popular, and we are including even more participants than in previous years, it is important we have the most fair and efficient process to ensure that as many of your teens and children as possible have a fun, educational and positive experience during their time with us. To that end, these rules are to ensure that each child/teen has an equitable, and fair opportunity to participate and the best experience during their project session.
Registration/Program rules for Summer of MAKE 2016:
- You may only register for ONE program per child/teen within their grade track. However, you can go on the waitlist for any remaining projects within the grade track by ranking the programs from most interest to least interest for your child/teen. We will then contact you if you child if offered a spot in a waitlisted program the week before the program occurs. Once contacted from the waitlist, you will have 24 hours to confirm whether you would like your child to participate.
- We are unable to accept any walk-ins for any project sessions. Only those registered or confirmed moved from a waitlist will be allowed to attend a project session
- Registrations will only be accepted for children and teens for programs in their grade track as detailed above. There are no exceptions or exemptions for this.
- Registration cannot be completed through a message left on our voicemail system. Registration for programs is only accepted via in-person registration or by phone having spoken with one of librarians or staff members.
- Any child or teen that arrives more than 15 minutes late will NOT be allowed to participate in the project session. Many of the projects are very intensive in nature and it is not fair to other participants to have readjust an entire workshop to accommodate a late participants. Please make sure you arrive at least 10 minutes before the beginning of the program.