Welcome to Piscataway Public Library's online Career Center. No matter what type of career you’re interested in, every job search should begin right here at the Piscataway Public Library. We provide access to a variety of sources that will assist you in your search, from books to public computers with access to web sites and specialized databases. If you have any questions about your job search, contact a librarian by telephone, email, or chat. Also, you can Make an Appointment with a Librarian for one-on-one help filling out an online job application, formatting your resume, or online job searches.
Online Job Search
FOR RECENT GRADS
|The Black Collegian Online||Serves diverse populations with information for students and grads on job searching and accepting offer.|
|The Occupational Outlook Handbook||From the Bureau of Labor Statistics. (Also available in print in the Career Section of the library.)|
|Career Transitions||For new job seekers.|
|Job Web||Sponsored by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.|
|Monster College||A partner with Monster.com job board website.|
|MyMoney.gov||Assistance with financial life events.|
|Practical Money Skills for Life||To help consumers and students of all ages learn the essentials of personal finance.|
|Quintessential Careers||A collection of the best job-search resources for new college grads to help you find a job in the career of your choice, including articles, tutorials, and job sites specifically for college graduates.|
|Student Jobs||Entry-level jobs and internships for the federal government.|
(from Library Journal, January 2012 - www.libraryjournal.com)
SITE INDUSTRY FOCUS
www.6figurejobs.com All – 6 Figure Jobs
www.aftercollege.com All – College Students: Recent Graduates
www.careejournal.com Executive Career Site of Wall Str. Journal
www.careers.wsj.com Executive Careers
www.clearancejobs.com Jobseekers Holding Security Clearance
www.creativehotlist.com Architecture Management
www.davincijobs.com Varied-Central NY State
www.the-dma.org Direct Marketing
www.execunet.com All – Executives @ $100K+
www.gantthead.com IT-Project Management
www.idealist.org Non-Profit; Fund Raising
www.indeed.com Great Job Aggregator – Consolidates listings from multiple sites
www.jobcircle.com Biotech; Healthcare; Engineering; Finance; Tech; Telecom
www.job-hunt.org Links to job sites (eg. Mktg.,, Eng., Finance, etc.)
www.jobster.com Great Job Aggregator-Consolidates listing from multiple sites
www.latpro.com Hispanic/Bi-lingual Professionals
www.medzilla.com Healthcare; Biotech; Pharma
www.nationjob.com/pjscout Personal job email service matching your background
www.netshare.com Executive Positions
www.recruitersonline.com All - Lists of recruiters + Jobs Available
www.researchinfo.com Market Research
www.sciencejobs.com/splach.action All Sciences
www.scip.org Specifications Consultants in Independent Practice
www.simplyhired.com Great Job Aggregator – Consolidates listings from multiple sites
www.staffinglinks.com All – Metajob Search + Links to employers
www.theladders.com Jobs offering - $100K +
www.tristatejobs.com All – NJ, NY, PA, CT
www.usajobs.com Federal Jobs
www.njcourtsonline.com All – Working w/Judiciary- Look at left under “job opportunities”
This information was provided by The Institute at Middlesex County College, 732-906-4681.
4Jobs.com. Post a resume, search jobs, and browse other career resources, including articles and a salary calculator.
CareerBuilder. Find jobs, set up job alerts, and post your resume online for potential employers to view.
Craigslist. Searchable, worldwide job listings.
Indeed. Worldwide search engine for job postings. Searches job sites, newspapers, associations, and company career pages.
LinkedIn. Use this site to network with other professionals.
Monster. Search jobs, post your resume and cover letter for potential employers, and browse other career tools.
NYTimes. Post a job, find a job, and get career advice from The New York Times & Monster.
New Jersey Civil Service Commission. This is your gateway to public employment in the State of New Jersey. Visit this site to search job announcements for the public or promotional announcements for current government employees, and browse civil service testing and evaluation methods.
O*NET OnLine. Developed for the U.S. Department of Labor by the National Center for O*NET Development, this site allows users to search for jobs based on a variety of criteria.
Resume and Cover Letters
Get help drafting your resume or cover letter online from these web sites:
CareerLab - The First and Best Cover Letters. Find free sample cover letters on a variety of career-related topics.
The Riley Guide: Resumes and Cover Letters. Get resume and cover letter tips from The Riley Guide.
Additional Career Resources and Career Exploration
New Brunswick Professional Service Group. Network with other area professionals to share expertise and job search.
New Jersey Training Opportunities. Search for schools and organizations that provide occupational education and job training opportunities.
One Stop Career Center (PDF). Learn about career services in Middlesex County, New Jersey.
http://njnextstop.org/ New Jersey Next Stop. A state site sponsored to help NJ teens, parents, and counselors learn more about career interests, career options, and the world of work. It also provides information about industries, occupations and skills that are in demand in New Jersey
www.gatewaytocareers.com This site provides information and activities that help explain the career search process and include a comprehensive listing of New Jersey along with national online resources that can aid job seekers through each step of their career research.
For Recent Grads
The Black Collegian Online. Serves diverse populations with information for students and grads on job searching and accepting offers.
The Occupational Outlook Handbook. From the Bureau of Labor Statistics. (Also available in print in the Career Section of the library.)
Career Transitions. For new job seekers.
Job Web. Sponsored by the National Association of Colleges and Employers.
Monster College. A partner with Monster.com job board website.
MyMoney.gov. Assistance with financial life events.
Practical Money Skills for Life. To help consumers and students of all ages learn the essentials of personal finance.
Quintessential Careers. A collection of the best job-search resources for new college grads to help you find a job in the career of your choice, including articles, tutorials, and job sites specifically for college graduates.
Student Jobs. Entry-level jobs and internships for the federal government.
(from Library Journal, January 2012 - www.libraryjournal.com)
Resources @ Piscataway Public Library
Job information books can be very useful with everything from picking an appropriate career, to preparing for exams. Many of the library's career-focused books are located together in a separate section of the library. Many of these books can be checked out of the library for three weeks, and will be in and around the call numbers 650.14. If you are looking for a book that is not available, please talk to a library about placing an electornic reserve!
Here are some to start with:
- Breitbarth, Wayne. The Power Formula for LinkedIn Success: kick-start your business, brand, and job search. Location: 658.0546 BRE (KEN)
- Dodd, Laura. dig this gig: Find Your Dream Job or Invent It. Location: 650.1 DOD (KEN Career Section)
- Knaus, Bill. Fearless Job Hunting: poweful psychological strategies for getting the job you want. Location: 650.14 KNA (WES)
- MacDougall, Debra. The 6 Reasons You'll Get the Job: what employers look for-whether they know it or not. Location: 650.14 MAC (KEN)
- Mackay, Harvey. Use Your Head to Get Your Foot in the Door: Job Search Secrets No One Else Will Tell You. Location: 650.14 MAC (KEN / WES)
There are quite a few reference materials that may aid in your job search. Many of these resources do not circulate, but are available for use within the library. These sources will be good for finding background information about various careers, including educational requirements and average salary.
- Career Information Center [volumes 1-13]. New York, NY: Butterick Pub., 2007. Location: REF 371.42 CAREER (KEN | WES)
- Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance [volumes 1-5]. Chicago, Ill: Ferguson Publishing Company, 2008. Location: REF 371.42 ENCYCLOPEDIA (KEN)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook 2010-2011. Washington, D.C.: Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2010. Location: REF 371.42 OCCUPATIONAL (KEN | WES)
Most of the periodicals below can be found at both Kennedy and Westergard libraries. Magazines and journals are located in clear, plastic display racks, with the current month in front of the previous months. Current month magazines and journals do not circulate. Newspapers are located in similar clear, plastic displays nearby. Retention time for periodicals may vary, so check with the librarian for more information.
- Courier News. Retention: 1 month (KEN / WES)
- Home News and Tribune. Retention: 1 month (KEN / WES)
- Star Ledger. Retention: 1 month (KEN / WES)
- The New York Times. Retention: 1 month (KEN / WES); please see a librarian for help with electronic access.
Instructional videos are circulating materials located in the nonfiction video section.
- Answering Interview Questions. Indianapolis, IN: Video Education America, 2010. Location: DVD 650.14 ANSWERING (KEN | WES)
- Developing A Career Portfolio. White Plains, NY: Video Education America, 2008. Location: Career DVD 331.702 DEVELOPING (KEN)
- Job Application: Looking Good on Paper. White Plains, NY: Video Education America, 2008. Location: DVD 650.14 JOB (KEN | WES)
- Quick Cover Letter DVD. Indianapolis, IN: JIST Works, 2003. Location: Career DVD 650.14 QUICK (KEN)
- Quick Resume DVD. Indianapolis, IN: JIST Works, 2004. Location: Career DVD 650.14 QUICK (KEN)
- Powerful Resumes. White Plains, NY: Video Education America, 2006. Location: Career DVD 650.14 POWERFUL (KEN)
Piscataway Public Library maintains online access to a host of electronic databases that can be found through the library’s web site at http://www.piscatawaylibrary.org. Many of the databases and web sites can be accessed on-site or remotely using your library card and PIN. (You can contact the library if you don't know your PIN.)
- Business Source Premier. This business database provides full text for nearly 1,100 business publications, including full text for nearly 500 peer-reviewed business publications. The rich collection of titles in Business Source Elite provides information dating back to 1985. This database is updated on a daily basis via EBSCOhost.
Career Transitions. Career Transitions is a self-paced resource provided through Jersey Clicks, which integrates all the tools needed in the job search-process including:
*A personal profile that stores references, and action plan and more
*Assessment engine that identifies career interests and transferable skills
*Ability to target specific careers and apply for jobs
*Interviewing and networking tips
*Adult education and low-fee distance learning classes
*Access to unemployment services, health benefits, and other social services
- Coin Career Community. Provides access to skills assessment tests, job search, and career description videos.
Job and Career Accelerator. This resource, provided through Jersey Clicks, combines everything you need for a successful job search into one easy-to-use online application. With this innovative job-hunting system, you can:
* Explore detailed information on over 1,000 different occupations
* Match your interests and skills with the career that's best for you
* Search over five million up-to-the-minute local and national job postings
* Create professional resumes and cover letters
* Practice and master interviewing skills
* Get invaluable tips and advice every step of the way—from your initial search to accepting an offer
* Conveniently organize and track your job-search progress all in one place
- LearningExpress Library. Includes practice tests and tutorial course series designed to help patrons—students and adult learners—succeed on the academic or licensing tests they must pass.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook. Provides basic information for hundreds of different careers.
- Small Business Resource Center. From conducting industry research to financial planning, to marketing a product and franchising a business, this database offers users complete small business management resources via a combination of unparalleled periodicals and reference content. Provided through Jersey Clicks.
Developing Computer Skills
Sign up for small-classroom-style computer instruction. These classes will provide you with an introduction to the computer, word processing, Internet searching, basic email, and more. For a listing of classes at Kennedy and Westergard Libraries, and to register, go to: www.piscatawaylibrary.org/technologytraining.
Filing for Unemployment
For information regarding filing for unemployment online or by telelphone, visit the Department of Labor and Workforce Development web site at http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/fileui/file_index.html.
- VolunteerMatch: In a sluggish economy, volunteer work is a great way to stay active. Visit VolunteerMatch to discover opportunities in your community.